Wednesday 2 January 2013

Business or pleasure?


Here I am on my second day of blogging, currently still abiding by my "Be creative everyday" resolution.
Truth be told, I don't always get to be creative for my own sake, seeing as I have to try and work a bit too. On the other hand, I have the advantage of mixing business with pleasure: doing graphic design and illustrations is a fun, yet sometimes frustrating way to have my cake and eat it too. When your work is something you actually enjoy, it's a pretty good thing. However... Compromising is tough. When your doing work for an actual client, there's a fine line between staying true to your own style and finding a way to work within their vision. Basically, you need to let go of "That colour does not go with that colour" or "I am a follower of De Stijl, I will not use circles". If you want to make money through creativity-on-demand, there's no room for an overinflated ego. Meet people halfway or try and sell your original work. Which is almost what I tried doing today, taking a break from logos and "boring" stuff like that. Today I was a kid again and ran with... well, monsters! The lovely guys and gals over aThreadless constantly hold design challenges for Tees and Iphone cases and bedsheets and hoodies and wall-art and everything nice. The current challing is one I couldn't possibly miss, otherwise the kiddo inside would really blow me a raspberry: using the funny fellas from Monsters, Inc. to create an awesome design. Why not? Boo, Mike and Sulley are awesome, of course they'd make a great T-shirt! So I gave it a try and that was my creative challenge for the day, mixing business with pleasure!



I hope there's somebody out there who'd like to wear this shirt, 'cause I'd sure like to win that prize :) Wish me good luck, my so far non-existent readers! See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment